Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pining for Mardi Gras

I haven't been to a Mardi Gras in NOLA since 2007, and it's killing me.  I'm having a Mardi Gras party here at Coker College today at 8PM in the SUB.  I'm making a boil of potatoes, corn on the cob, garlic, lemon, onion, and sausages.  We've also got someone making some gumbo, and I'm doing an improvised King Cake.  But, it ain't the same.

Yelling "Throw me somethin', mister" until I'm hoarse, hoping to get a coveted medallion strand of beads, high-fiving Mike Lindsey, Matt Brady, Clay Larsen, or Brent Bastian has no peers.  I miss trying to convince the Van Dams to come down to the neutral ground with us.  I miss camping out the night before the big parades, sharing those quiet hours with my buddies as we ate crawfish, pistachios, and talked about life, church, sports, or whatever was on our minds.

There were no smart phones.  We sat and talked and enjoyed each other's company.

There's nothing like that here.  Parades that aren't for Mardi Gras are boring.  No one throws you anything, the floats are just people waving.  There's no artistry or imagination in them beyond mere aesthetics.  I want comedy, humor, satire.  Krewe D'Etat has always been my favorite krewe for the level of wit in their themes.

I want to be there right now.  Next year, when I'm on sabbatical, if Costa Rica doesn't work out--we're going.  No doubt about it.


2 comments:

rap said...

one of many things I have never done and you make me wish that was not the case.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Loved One,

I've got plenty of room to put you guys up. Anytime you want it.

And it doesn't seem like that long ago but you're right, we didn't have smart phones then. Conversely, it seems like we've always had smart phones. Damn you Steve Jobs. #sleepingonthenetrualground

Bishop Gator