Friday, May 29, 2009

RIP Truman Madsen (1926-2009)

http://bycommonconsent.com/2009/05/28/truman-madsen-1926-2009/

Right before I got married, Truman Madsen was my stake president; he gave me my marriage recommend interview. He had me come to his house, a beautiful pad up on the hill west of the stadium, for the interview since he "didn't like conducting interviews in someone else's office."

My recommend interview consisted of two 'questions:'

1. I assume you were truthful in the interview you had with your bishop for this recommend, correct?

2. Bear me your testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

We talked at length after that about what I should expect of married life and why it was important not to quibble over money. Only the eternal stuff mattered.

He was a decent and kind man and I'm saddened by his death.

1 comment:

chattypatra said...

Mac, what a great honor for you to have had him counsel you as you prepared to be married. I too am sad to hear that he is gone. He left us a great legacy with his testimony and intelligent analysis of Gospel principles. I hope that people who read his obituary and have never picked up one of his books will feel inspired to do so. Thanks for the heads up.