Sunday, July 13, 2008

Remember the Sabbath

So, I could be at the John Mayer concert right now. I could be out with my friends, listening to good music, and having a great time. My friend Aaron Woods even generously offered to give me the ticket for free. Originally, I accepted the invitation, but when I learned that the concert was on Sunday, I faced a very difficult dilemma; do I go, or to I keep the Sabbath holy?

Thankfully, my friends are very understanding of my religious observances, so I had no peer pressure from them influencing my decision, though, admittedly, I did feel a little "peculiar" about turning down a wonderful opportunity. Ultimately, I had to decline attending the concert. Even though I'm sitting in their basement (feeling like Margot in Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day") typing this blog post, and not out visiting the sick and needy, or other appropriate Sabbath Day activities, I know I'm doing the right thing by not going. I'm not casting aspersions on others for going; I'm just saying that I try and keep the Sabbath, and this wasn't an easy decision for me.

In fact, I'm kind of pissed. I want to go. I'm only not going because of my temple covenants, what my children might think of my decision, and the thought that my Dad might be watching from On High and be disappointed in my choice. But, let's not be mistaken here, this isn't really willful obedience, delighting in the Sabbath, not at all; I'm not saying all this so people will heap praises on me for "doing what's right" (because wouldn't that kind of be a sin too?); nor is it me bragging about taking a stand; no, this is something else. I'm torn; I don't want to be here typing this; I want to be Waiting on the World to Change; I guess remembering the Sabbath starts with acts like this.

Mark 2:27

4 comments:

Mickelle's Minute said...

So I am glad that you are not "waiting" for the world to change, but actually trying to change, as in making a righteous choice. While I am not saying I am "proud" of your decision, I just think in the long run you made a positive choice and next time you are faced with the decision you won't feel so torn, it might in fact be easier.

Love ya

chattypatra said...

I actually think it counts more when you choose to do Heavenly Father's will at a time when you'd rather not. Why? Because it shows that you recognize His will should come first, regardless of your earthly desires. Heavenly Father knows how hard it is to keep the commandments and - since we come here to learn to live by faith - he appreciates every effort, every small step we take to obey them. I admire your honesty and respect your courage in sharing your thoughts with all who read this.

BTW, I think your kids will appreciate the fact that you are not perfect. It's hard to identify with an 'I always to everything right' person, at least for me!

Ryan S. said...

Mac- this reminds me of a similar decision I had to make. I also passed up a great concert. I could have attended a Sting concert. It was also on a Sunday. On my birthday. In Costa Rica.

Not easy decisions. I appreciate the fact that you think about your decisions.

Paul Dunn said...

Ya know, technically Saturday is the Sabbath. Sunday is the Lord's Day. But I digress, it's all symantics.