Friday, June 13, 2008

Bragging on My Mentors

So, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education, the faculty of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at Tulane is ranked #2 in the nation.

Read all about it:
http://tulane.edu/news/newwave/061308_dunn.cfm

I had the pleasure to work and study under many of them, and I have to say that they were extraordinarily talented. I was so impressed with Dr. John Charles that I selected him as a reader on my committee without ever having taken a class from him. And then, well, Idelber Avelar is a man of staggering genius and intellect. I never asked him a question that he couldn't immediately answer, and I had some hard ones for him as I tackled literary theory, theology, philosophy, and popular culture in my dissertation. Furthermore, he understands everything, immediately, when you explain it to him. Wow, just wow. Dr. Laura Bass is the best teacher I had there; she's a natural in the classroom, and her Quixote class is not to be missed. Maureen Shea brought me into a whole new world of "Empire" and pushed me to challenge my Republican assumptions about American involvement in the rest of the world. Tatijana Pavlovic knows so much about Spain and Spanish culture that I always felt like she was Spanish. Henry Sullivan has a book called The Beatles with Jacques Lacan. Amazing!

I could go on praising, but Mickelle's asking me to help her do something. Just know this, I am forever grateful to Dr. David Laraway at BYU for recommending that I apply to Tulane. It was such a perfect fit for me, and I was blessed to know and work with such fine people.

No comments: