Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"Añoranza" a poem by Juan Balboa Boneke

"Añoranza"

Quisiera volver a mi ayer,
quisiera ser de nuevo niño
y con los pies desnudos
correr por las pedregosas
calles de mi verdad rebolana.

Quisiera volver a mi niñez
para jugar y saltar,
para cantar y reir, y para llorar, qui-
zás:
pero en la libertad.

Sí, quisiera volver;
quisiera volver a mi ayer.

Ayer...ayer niño fui,
hoy, hombre soy,
y mañana, ¿qué seré?

Sí, quisiera volver;
quisiera volver
a mi inocente libertad.

...
Juan Balboa Boneke, Equatorial Guinea


"Longing"

I would love to return to my yesterday,
I would love to be a child again
and with bare feet,
run down the rocky
streets of my *Rebolanian truth.

I would love to revisit my childhood
To play and jump,
To sing and laugh, and to cry, per-
haps:
but only if I'm free.

Yea, I would love to go back;
I would love to hie to my yesteryear.

Yesterday, I was but a boy, yesterday,
today, I am a man,
and tomorrow, what will I be?

Yea, I would love to return;
I want to return
to my innocent freedom.

...
Translation by Mac Williams 6-25-08

feedback is welcomed
*the adjective rebolana refers to the childhood village of the poetic voice.

2 comments:

chattypatra said...

¡Qué poema tan bello, Mac! Gracias por compartirlo. Obviamente, no soy tan erudita como tú, pero para eso leo esta página...para aprender del maestro de literatura.

:)

K said...

Like poetry? My favorite is Cien sonetos de amor (100 love sonnets) by Pablo Neruda.