Sunday, May 11, 2008

When in Mérida

So, before I forget, I simply must tell my loyal three readers about the best foods I´ve had since I left New Orleans a year ago. We went to a restaurant in Mérida called La casa de Frida (calle 61, by 66) and it was spectacular. It´s a little hole-in-the-wall place with awesome ambience, but most importantly, awesome food. For an appetizer I had arroz con mole. The mole had over 18 listed ingredients and was excellent; it didn´t taste like bitters. For my entree, I had the multiple-website-recommended ¨chiles en nogada,¨and folks, let me tell you, it was like I had died and gone to cuisine heaven. Imagine a chile poblano stuffed with ground beef, apples, pears, chícharos, and then smothered in a pureed pecan cream sauce. The chile was perfectly cooked and none of the flavors was too strong, perfectly balanced. The portion size was perfect: I wanted more because it tasted so good, but I didn´t have room for anymore, nor was I overly full. They have a retractable roof, so we ate under the stars.

If you´re visiting Merida, please consider this your #1 stop for excellent dining. I had an appetizer, entree, two diet cokes: total= $190 pesos ($19 USD). It was the best meal I´ve had in 2008.

1 comment:

JC said...

Que rico. You had me at Arroz con Mole. The chiles en nogada sound pretty good. Que envidia. Me da gusto que estes disfrutando de tu viaje en Mexico lindo y querido.