Ten things I love/will miss about México:
1. The chance to speak Spanish all the time
2. How cheap service are. I paid someone to wash, dry, and fold all of my clothes today for $66 pesos.
3. Tacos are more than just ground beef, iceberg lettuce, and hothouse tomatoes with a pinch of cheap cheddar.
4. People love to hear about my country, which is always gratifying, no matter where you´re from.
5. I am a foot taller than almost everyone I pass on the street.
6. Dickering over the prices of stuff, if the person puts the price for you to see on a calculator, that means he´ll negotiate down to around 60% of his original offer.
7. Internet cafes that cost $1 for an hour.
8. The sublime beauty of the blueness of the Caribbean Sea
9. Las palmeras ubicuas
10. The constant memories of a thousand other days of my life that the sights, sounds, and smells provoke. I feel like Antonio Machado gazing at the Guadarrama mountain range:
Por tus barrancos hondos y por tus cumbres agrias/mil Guadarramas y mil soles vienen/cabalgando conmigo
Ten things I won´t miss
1. The smells that only the tropics can conjure.
2. Taxi drivers
3. Drinks go warm immediately if you don´t have ice in them.
4. Being the only gentleman in shorts
5. Being embarrassed by the behavior of my countrymen
6. Men starting conversations with, ¨hello meeeestur¨ and then telling me they have my size guayabera when they clearly don´t.
7. Always feeling like I have gunk in the creases of my neck.
8. No traffic lanes
9. Crushing poverty
10. the chance to come back again soon.