Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hola, desde Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, México

So, we descended down from the hills of central Yucatán onto the hot coasts of Quintana Roo and the seaside city of Playa del Carmen. It´s very small, but it has an Office Max, Sam´s Club, and Wal-Mart----it´s full of gringos.

We spent the last two nights in the isolated village of Tinúm, sleeping in hammocks and eating corn tortillas made by hand and cooked over an open fire..with every meal. Yesterday we went and toured Chichén Itzá, which I didn´t like as much as the spectacular ruins at Uxmal. I was able to finally buy a little Chac Mool statue so I can explain the eponymous Carlos Fuentes story to my students better.

We´re here until Monday....we´re going to the ruins at Tulum tomorrow. I should be able to write again before I leave. I wish, oh wish, that Mickelle were here with me....I don´t like be without her.

No comments: