Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bittersweet Homecoming

So, we're in Georgia over the weekend to see family, have Marley 6th birthday party on Saturday with all her cousins, and to help my mom clean out the mountains of junk in her house that my dad accumulated.


I cried harder tonight that I ever have in my life as I looked around as was confronted with multiple memories at every turn. Seeing all my dad's stuff brought back the memories of thousands of bygone days, and it was almost more than I could bear.

I sobbed for a full fifteen minutes as I "let it all out." I miss my dad so much. If your parents are still alive, go to them, forgive them of all their wrongs, get them to tell you the old stories you've heard a million times before. When they're gone, you'll long for these days. Avoid the mistakes so many others have made of waiting until it's too late for goodbyes.





Family first, nothing before kin, unconditional love; in the end, that's all that matters.

2 comments:

ichibanjohn said...

I knew you were close. Give me a call sometime John(Gibby) 404-797-1003. or email me jgipson at gmail.com

Kirt said...

Hey Mac, my heart goes out to you bud! Thanks for the reminder to talk and spend time with extended family now, while they're still around!