Monday, April 07, 2008

Good news for me!

I got a phone message today that let me know that I've been accepted into the National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Seminar at Howard University (Washington D.C.) on the Literature of Equatorial Guinea.

This is an exciting thing for me because it brings a large stipend, it fills a massive hole in my knowledge of Spanish-language literature, it will allow me to network with other professors who share my same interests, and I get to be in D.C. on the 4th of July.

Now, I need to find a place to stay for three of the weeks. I wonder if my cousin Robbie would let me crash with him....hmmmmmm.

6 comments:

swampbaby said...

Congrats on your achievement! I think D.C. on the 4th would be awesome!

chattypatra said...

Mac, that is fantastic! What a tremendous opportunity! I'm glad Heavenly Father has blessed you with that honor. You and your family will have a great time in D.C. on the 4th of July; the memories you make will bring joy for many years. Congratulations.

David Laraway said...

Mac, that's really cool. How did you get interested in Equitorial Guinea? I'd love to hear how it goes...

Andrew said...

Is Adam Lifshey involved in the seminar at all? He's a good friend from grad school, he works on Equatorial Guinea and is at Georgetown, so perhaps you'll meet him. If so, say hi.

Andrew Brown

LedSophocles said...

Hey Mac,
Congrats! Very well deserved, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to your visit already.
your pal,

Paul Dunn said...

DC on the 4th, bummer. Large stipend, bummer. Filling an educational void, bummer.

Sounds wonderful Mac. Just be sure to wear some sunscreen.