Friday, March 07, 2008

RIP Raymond Vines Buckner (1912-2008)

So, not five minutes after I made my last post about missing my father, I got a call from my mom saying that my maternal grandfather had passed away; he was 95. He was in pain, couldn't walk, and had no quality of life. His passing alleviated his suffering, truly.

My mom has lost her husband and her father in the last five months.


Fly away home to Zion
fly away home
One bright morning
When my work is over, man
I'm gone fly away home

3 comments:

swampbaby said...

Sometimes I wish my grandma would pass to relieve her suffering. It is still hard to lose a loved one, even in that situation. Sorry for your loss.

chattypatra said...

To be frank, Mac, even though I am well aware that my mother's death kept her from suffering any more pain, and freed her spirit from the prison that was her bed, that moment when I had to tell the doctor at the hospital NOT to put her in a respirator was the single most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my life. Meaning, we tell ourselves logical things in order to feel better. Truth is, physical separation hurts like hell; pardon my french.

My father is 92. God help me when he dies, because I know I'm going to want to die on the spot.

Fonnesbeck Family said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Mac. I know how much you loved him because you talked about him a lot. Stay close to your mom, she needs you right now, and I am sure she has been a great support to you as well through your Dad's passing and now your Grandpa's.