Sunday, February 03, 2008

All Those Years Ago / Piling It on

So, fifteen years ago today I entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah to begin my two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The days leading up to that moment were ones I'll never forget. I can still see my Dad having me stand up in my farewell Sacrament meeting and publicly telling the world how much he loved me. I'll never forget that moment, or the other little ones that I shared with my friends and family. I also remember Norman Sandridge and I talking on my staircase at night and him giving me his 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly card (which I still have and carried with me in Costa Rica).

Fifteen years ago today, I never imagined I'd be where I am today. And even this morning, I never imagined when I woke up at 5:40 AM to get ready to go to Bishopric meeting for 6:30AM, since I'm the bishop's executive secretary, that I would see myself accept a calling to be the Ward Mission Leader, in addition to my callings as Executive Secretary and Elders Quorum Instructor (I teach three Sundays a month).

I live in a ward. I hold three callings that require a serious commitment of my time. I'm not all that qualified, but just like in New Orleans, apparently, I'm all the Lord's got.

2 comments:

brent said...

Here's a trick that worked for me: admit to a few semi-heinous sins you never actually committed, but be repentant about it. It makes for a quick release, but not full disfellowship from the Church. Plus, you get pretty good home teachers.

thewmes said...

And to think I thought you were taking a break up there in S. Carolina.