Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The High Cost of Health Care for the Insured

So, on December 27th, I went to the emergency room at Carolina Pines Hospital here in Hartsville. I was sure it was something to do with heartburn, but I was having chest pains into my arm and jaw, so we went. It took two hours to diagnose GERD. During my time there, they took a chest x-ray which was not needed, and which I questioned (damned defensive medicine) [the doctor appeared for the first time within five minutes of the x-ray; I contend that it was not reviewed before the diagnosis was made]. They took blood to check for heart enzymes, hooked me up to an EKG, and left me on a hospital bed for two farking hours without any pain help. By the way, no doctor ever physically touched my body while I was there, not once.

I have medical insurance. The bill came to $2,000. The insurer got me a "contract discount" of $650 and paid another $630 in cash. This leaves me owing $720, for what amounted to someone giving me a $9.91 gastrointestinal cocktail, after two hours. And I have insurance damnit!

Health care is my #1 issue this election. Ain't no two ways about it.

By the way, my heart is fine. I am allergic to sesame seeds, that, and too much naproxen for gout caused me to have GERD and gastritis.

4 comments:

chattypatra said...

I feel your pain, Mac. Funny you should mention your plight. We finally watched SICKO yesterday and, after it was over, I wondered what you would say about it. Have you seen it? I'm surprised that Michael Moore hasn't been shot by any of the insurance companies!

Mac said...

I haven't watched it because I think Michael Moore is a pedantic egomaniac who deals in half-truths and is not afraid to manipulate data to serve his own purposes. I liked Bowling for Columbine, but his treatment of Charlton Heston was not proper, even if he his disagreed with him. His movie is a good thing if it makes people think, but I'll not give that man a dime of my money.

chattypatra said...

Well, I haven't given him any of my money either! hahaha

Seriously, though, this is the first time I watch any of his films because I have never liked him much either. However, he does bring up some very valid points in this last one and I think even you would like to watch it. Just rent it or borrow it from someone. I'm sure that, with your current situation, it will strike a chord.

P.S: Get well soon!

Erin said...

Glad to hear you are ok - scary though! I won't see that SICKO movie because it will probably just make me mad and give me one more thing to worry about as a mother. I am trying to relax a bit more these days. Glad to hear it wasnt' anything serious though!