Sunday, January 20, 2008

Half Life

It was a Sunday. Sunday January 20, 1991, exactly seventeen years ago today. Damn, it's been a long time since I had some iced tea! We drove down to the building on Ponce de Leon Ave, and I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The mission had a mission-wide baptismal service, so there were 25 people getting baptized that evening. I was first. The brother baptized right after me scared everyone when he came up out of the water shouting "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" My dad dunked me pretty hard, hitting my head on the bottom of the font.

We were all confirmed that night too. Some ladies sang "In This Very Room." My cousins were all there. I asked if Marty could help confirm me, but he didn't have the Melchezidek Priesthood yet. I was confirmed by Elder Jason Ivan Ray; he has never tried to contact me again. I suppose that's okay. Burt Luce was there. My friend Martin Isaksen was the only person from my ward who bothered to drive down to see me get baptized. It was a good day and I made a good decision.

It was seventeen years ago today. I'm 34. I've been a member for half of my life. It has changed my life immeasurably, for the better.

Some days I miss my Dad so much it hurts.

4 comments:

JC said...

Congratulations! I started my 5th go around last year. :)

chattypatra said...

This summer it will be 24 years since I was baptized. Hope you had a wonderful day!

swampbaby said...

Think - if you hadn't made that decision, you would never have met me!!!

Jk.

I'm happy for you. Way to hang in there!

Idelber said...

Congratulations, my esteemed, dear, honorable, great friend!

I miss my Dad a lot sometimes as well.