Friday, December 14, 2007

Pullalating

So, our esteemed president again vetoes the expanded children's healthcare bill. The medical care would've been paid for by an increase on the price of cigarettes. Please note, I am willing to pay substantially more from each paycheck so that I don't have to worry about healthcare for my kids. As it stands, I make $1,800 too much per year to qualify for Medicaid for my wee bairn. So, I'm left with the option of paying 25% of my income for not-so-grand insurance from my employer, or running the risk of paying out of pocket and facing some catastrophe, as my mom is now facing. I'd much rather pay 10% of my income to a fee-for-service government insurance program and not have to worry about medical care for my kids ever again. Also, please note, I do have intensive care supplemental coverage (for the whole family) through AFLAC. But, it isn't all that helpful without some other kind of insurance.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/12/bush.schip/?iref=mpstoryview

Health insurance is the #1 issue for me this coming election.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I was in a 7-11 here in Singapore last night and I noticed that every single pack of smokes has a big fat black sticker on it with white letters saying: SMOKING KILLS. Included on every sticker is a paragraph about how smoking causes cancer (I don't remember the text) as well as a picture of some part of the body that's been ravaged by cancer. There were probably 15 different pictures amongst the packs, including messed up teeth, a cancerous neck, black lungs, etc. It was disturbing and wonderful at the same time.

chattypatra said...

Since my father has cancer and I still don't have a job, I'm going to have to agree with you and say that for me too this will be the #1priority come election time.

I am sorry you and your family have had such a hard year. As long as the Spirit is strong on Christmas Day, your children will be fine.

Maybe you can all do a service project together? I think they would never forget that, especially if it is their idea. Just a thought. :)

In my family, we ask each other what we want. When times have been good, everyone gives one gift to everyone else. When they are not, we pool our resources, and we each get one thing we really want.

Merry Christmas!