Monday, December 03, 2007

Iran Not Working on Nukes Anymore

So, we get the news, from our own intelligence services, that Iran is actually NOT working to develop a nuclear weapon. This is most welcome news.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/03/iran.nuclear/index.html

With the world no longer willing to support us in our efforts to police the world, news that our sabre-rattling (with, I believe, real intent to act had the need arisen) has had the desired effect allows us all to breathe a sigh of relief. An invasion, or even a targeted strike against Iran, would have rippled through the world economy, political scene, and surely launched new waves of terrorist strikes in our own country. That's not to say that should Iran ever resume its program that we should not unilaterally destroy it--we are not cowards in the face of an enemy that despises us. What I mean is, if we can give peace a chance, without shedding blood, then let's try it, by all means. War should always only be our last resort. I'm no warmonger, and I'm no "pacifist" but I am a lover of peace, decorum, diplomacy, and avoiding brinkmanship. With this news, and news of Chavez's defeat yesterday, I'm reminded that of that old infommercial from the 80's.

Is that Freedom Rock?

Well turn it up, man!

2 comments:

chattypatra said...

"National Intelligence Estimate". Now, THERE'S an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

Just bring all the troops home. I can still visualize Pres. Hinckley on Larry King, being interviewed right after Pres. Bush said we were going to go to war. Among other things, he said that a lot of people were going to die. I wonder if that interview can be found on YouTube...

Anyway, since when do we believe everything the pundits say?

Now that I'm reminiscing, I especially cherish the memory of Pres. Bush warning Hussein that we would come get him in 6 months.

"Riiing. Hey, Saddam, guess what? If you don't do exactly as I say, I will come to your house on March 20 of next year and take over. A lot of people will die man, and I will take away the millions you have hidden in the walls of you many palaces. I know you have weapons of mass destruction and, even though I'm giving you half a year to get rid of them, you won't be able to send them to Iran or hide them wherever because there is no way you'll have enough time.
See you later, evil dictator!"

Awww...good times, fond memories.

Hey, Mac, remember when Commanders in Chief used to saddle up and be in front of their troops, leading them to war? Me neither.

thewmes said...

This is good news for my sake!