Friday, November 02, 2007

Inconceivable!

So, my best friend (I have two bffs) Paul Dunn's grandmother passed away on Wednesday. We're putting my dad's ashes in the ground today at 1:30, but the funeral ceremony is tomorrow. The Georgia National Cemetery doesn't perform services on weekends, and since my dad is a veteran, she wants him to have the flag folding and "Taps" played, so we have to do it today.

My name, John McLarty Williams III, is after my father's, John McLarty Williams Jr, after his father's John McLarty Williams Sr. My son too is named for me, and my father, and my grandfather. We call him Jack, but his name is John McLarty Williams IV.

Paul Dunn is named after his grandmother, Pauline Dunn. That we're both burying the people we were named after on the same day, is, like Wallace Shawn's Vizzini repeatedly says, "Inconceivable!"

I do know what that word means.


"Taps"

Day is done,
gone the sun,
From the lake,
from the hills,
from the sky;
All is well,
safely rest,
God is nigh.

Fading light,
dims the sight,
And a star
gems the sky,
gleaming bright.
From afar,
drawing nigh,
falls the night.

Thanks and praise,
for our days,
'Neath the sun,
'neath the stars,
neath the sky;
As we go,
this we know,
God is nigh.

While the light
fades from sight,
And the stars
gleaming rays
softly send,
To thy hands
we our souls,
Lord, commend.

No comments: