Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Gall

So, when we were in Georgia, Mickelle had to call Marley's school to tell them why she was going to be absent. When she told them it was for a funeral, the lady on the phone, bluntly said, "you'll need to bring in an obituary or a note from the funeral director for it to be a 'legal' absence."

It's a good thing I wasn't the one on the phone because I would've ripped that lady apart. It reminds me of that scene in Ferris Buellar's Day Off when Ed Rooney tells Simone's "dad" on the phone, "You roll her old bones on over here, and I'll dig up your daughter."

The gall of some people to have the nerve to ask for an obituary to excuse a farking kindergarten absence when someone is grieving.

Tough talk from little people.

2 comments:

chattypatra said...

And the award for tactfulness goes to...the lady on the phone! Yikes.

I hope you write a heated letter of complaint to the Principal. I've always thought that "it's not what you say, it's the way you say it".

Sorry you both had to go through that. Unfortunately, honest people pay for those who lie. It's a shame.

brent said...

What happens if it's not a "legal" absence? And if it's a parent calling, why do they care why they're pulling their kids out of school. I think I recall that there is an attendance provision in the No Child Left Around law. I wouldn't be surprised if this "hardline" approach is an attempt to garner funds.