Saturday, August 25, 2007

Stagefright or Vapidity? Miss Teen South Carolina

Keep in mind, this girl is only 17!




Transcribed:



"Recent polls have shown 1/5 of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map, why do you think that is?"

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps; and I believe that our education, such as South Africa, and d-Iraq, and everywhere such as; I believe that they should... our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., errrh should help South Africa and should help d-Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our..."




Notice the audience cheers.


I guess when you look like this at age 17,




you can say whatever you want to your peers. I can't tell if she was just nervous, unprepared for the question, or just a blonde bombshell stereotype in the flesh. One thing is certain, he response was still better than Miss North Carolina's response. The most challenging thing she's done in her life, "this one time I went snowboarding, and it was like, tough."

4 comments:

Erin said...

I feel bad for that girl - that was a really lame question. Maybe she had stage fright because only seconds before, our Saved By The Bell friend reminded all of the contestants that they were answering in front of millions of people. That really was a hilarious answer though and will probably go down in her book of most embarassing moments, but I have to have some sympathy for her because she probably had her "wish for world peace" answer all ready to go. I don't really feel THAT bad for her though, she's beautiful!

JC said...

You watched Miss Teen USA?

Mac said...

Erin,

I wonder if she'll wind up being famous from this. It's all over the internet right now.

JC,

You didn't watch it? Oh, that's right, you only have one girl in a house of 5. I've got two that just love this kind of stuff, and besides, someone has to comment on their swimsuits. Though it is a little weird that 16-17 year old girls look this....well...developed.

brent said...

Erin,

I'm a little offended you found my earnest question on handicapped stalls to be vacuous. It's a debate I've had in my head more than once. (I'm joking, of course...about the offense, not the debate.)

More importantly, I think this girl nailed it on the head, albeit somewhat obliquely. Of course South Africa and "the" Iraq factor heavily into the analysis, because if we keep funneling money to the conflicts in these countries, we won't have the resources to improve our students failures in geography in American schools. I'm confident that had she been given more time, she would have pointed this out.