Saturday, April 07, 2007

Saddened


I just discovered that one of my favorite artists (second only to Maurice de Vlaminck), Clifton Karhu, passed away on March 27, 2007. Though native to Minnesota, he had lived in Japan for over 50 years and had become a reknowned wood block print maker. I have bid on his prints on ebay for over two years, and I've yet to win one. He was truly a master of the form, and I am saddened by his loss. I shudder when I think of the wisdom that death destroys. Every individual has their talents and gained knowledge. Death renders all that experience moot. There is no way to pass on wisdom to others, at least efficiently. I almost want to cry over the loss this week. Enjoy his works!

http://www.startribune.com/466/story/1083623.html





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey congrats on your academic success and your new job in SC. Welcome to the academic community Mac. Now hurry up and get tenure so I can invite you as a visiting professor down here in New Zealand. I hope you are well. Thanks, Nathanial Gardner