Wednesday, March 28, 2007

VIce President Cheney to speak at BYU graduation commencement

Evidently, this is the only place the Vice President can appear in public and not get boo-ed:
http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/63676

We all know how much tolerance BYU has for protests; don't expect them to allow even an editorial in the Daily Universe criticizing this decision . I enjoy how the article states that,

"An invitation for Vice President Cheney to speak at BYU's April commencement was extended by members of the First Presidency of the LDS Church in their capacities as chair and vice chairs of the BYU Board of Trustees."

Membership on The Board of Trustees of BYU is a paid position. I do not think it is appropriate to say that "The First Presidency" of the LDS Church extended the invitation. It would be entirely appropriate to say that the Chair and Vice Chairs of the Board of Trustees, who are also the members of the First Presidency, extended the invitation. I think that any time the Brethren do something in relation to anything for which they receive a salary, a clear distinction should be made between their labor and their calling. If President Hinckley, in his role as prophet, thinks that inviting the VP to BYU is a good idea, so be it. However, if that decision is reached in his capacity as a paid member of the Board of Trustees, then I think it is perfectly acceptable to disagree with that decision and to voice opposition to it. I do not think highly of the Vice President. I feel that he has brought dishonor to the office through his under-handed dealings and involvement with the Scooter Libby and Attorney General debacles and scandals, and that he should resign. I do not think that BYU should associate itself with a man who carries the taint of scandal, let alone honor him as the keynote speaker at a graduation.

I realize that the VP has not been convicted of any crime....yet. I just think that the controversy will cast a bad light on the church. If you disagree with my hair-splitting about the roles of the First Presidency, I can understand your side of the argument. My side goes back to my feeling that having a General Authority as the President of BYU is a less than optimal situation for the students. I felt that many decisions made about the campus while I was there were made unilaterally, without taking the students' worries and complaints into full consideration. I do think that the Board of Trustees SHOULD be constituted from the members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve. However, I believe a distinction should be made when describing their actions when they are fulfilling that role versus their role as Apostles.

Regardless, he will speak at the ceremony. His heart only pumps at 66% of capacity these days, and given how hard a heart he must have, it must really be straining to supply blood to his brain lately. Perhaps his anger, his outbursts, his poor decisions, and his lapsed morals are attributable to diminished capacity because of his multiple heart attacks and shunts and such.

No comments: