Monday, March 26, 2007

All over the place

1. Marley asked my Mom where babies come from. I responded that Mommy and I had prayed to Heavenly Father to have a baby for over a year, and that when Mommy finally got pregnant, we were very happy. Marley then asked, and I quote, "Did you do it every day?" It took us a couple of seconds of awkward silence to realize that the antecedent of "it" was "pray" and not "have sex."

2. Jack is starting to vocalize, he screams "BAAAAA" at my Dad all the time now. He also says something like "Gungagalungala" when he wants to nurse. I have heard him say "Mama" and "hi" for sure now.

3. I should know by tomorrow if Utah will offer me the one year visiting position or not. If not, I will most likely take the job at Coker College. If they do, I will pray furiously about it, but if the salary is decent enough, I am inclined to go teach at the U of U. One thing's for certain, my blog should be public again very soon.

4. We spent two nights at the Chalet Village of the Dillard House in Dillard, Rabun County, Georgia last week. The house has 3 bedrooms and a loft, an extra-large hottub, wireless internet, cable tv, full kitchen. It was $139 a night. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a getaway weekend in the mountains. Rates vary according to the season.

5. I got feedback on my dissertation today. It's not as good as I had hoped. Time to knuckle down and "turn this mother out" as some rap artist used to say.

6. The TV show Lost is just pissing me off now.

7. My grandpa didn't look good last week. He's 94. His time is probably short in this earth. I love him dearly, and I have hope and faith in the resurrection. The only part about him dying that really is hard is that while I truly believe that I will see him again some day, going through life without his cheerful demeanor and wisdom is hard. I want my children to know him, and know him well. Marley will remember him, but they will be the memories of a child of a very old man. My memories of him are of a burly man who was still splitting firewood in his early 80's. Of a man that test drove my Dodge Daytona and said "Wow she's peppy." I'll miss him so so much.

8. While helping my mom sort through some of my grandma's old possessions we found a note Grandma had written on the tag to her Christmas present from 1979. We gave her a copper tea kettle. She wrote on the tag, "I give her the money for the gifts and this is the results. 'I love you' just written down, not meant." I burnt the note in the fireplace. My grandma was cruel to my mother her whole life. I hope burning that hateful reminder of Moselle's cruelty was cathartic for my mom.

9. After four years of serving in the Uptown Branch and New Orleans 1st Branch Presidencies, yesterday I was finally released as 1st counselor to the branch president. I have not been giving a new calling. Matt Brady is now the first counselor, and Daniel Van Dam, not yet home a week from his mission is the new second counselor. Daniel leaves for Auburn in the Fall, so this is a stop-gap move. I can think of few young men as sober and spiritual as Daniel. He is an excellent choice.

10. The new series Battlestar Galactica is just excellent. Last night, my good buddy Layton Alldredge and I finished watching Season 2.5. The series is nothing like the original. I highly recommend it. It's not like watching other SciFi Channel series. It has high production values and doesn't get bogged down in techno-babble the way the Star Trek and Stargate ones do. Plus Caprica 6 is smokin' hot.

11. I thought of an idea for a scales that would be programmable and you could set your goal weight into it. Then, whenever you weighed, it would tell you "You are above your target weight", "You have achieved your target weight", or "You are below your target weight." That way you wouldn't obsess about the number and would worry more about reaching your goal. My own diet is restarting today. I stopped during Mardi Gras and have paid the price by regaining all the weight I lost. Here we go again.

12. I have a student this semester that asked me to miss class for Passover. No problem, but she will be missing an exam. She asked me to take it after she came back, again no problem given the class schedule (it wouldn't allow her proper preparation time). But, her reasoning for wanting to take it after she came back instead of before leaving was:

"I was not able to study as much as I usually do for the last exam because I was extremely ill and I really need to provide myself with adequate time so I can do very well on this one. My parents financial support for Tulane relies solely on the basis that I maintain a 4.0. With my last exam grade, I think it is near impossible for me to still get an A in your class, but I need to do whatever I can to get at least close or else I will find myself attending state school next semester."

Nothing like trying to emotionally blackmail your professor into giving you what you want. Also, I get the feeling that she is stretching the truth a bit. I mean what parents demand a 4.0? Demanding she do her absolute best is one thing, but if her best isn't a 4.0, how could any parent hold that against her. Your best, your honest best, should always suffice. So many students are jailhouse lawyers these days it makes the job not so much fun.

13. Today is Mickelle's birthday. She is 31 and is sexy as hell.

14. Rome ended last night. After Northern Exposure, I credit Rome with being the best television program of all time and Lucius Vorenus being one of my favorite characters of all time in any format. It was superbly acted with the most notables being Titus Pullo, Mark Antony, Octavian Caesar, Lucius Vorenus, and Attia of the Julii. The actors playing Pullo, Antony, and Vorenus being the best. I would think that Antony especially would get an Emmy nod for his work. He was fabulous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re 5: It was MC Hammer, in song which also featured the inspired phrase "No Hammer! Please don't hurt them!"

karie said...

I told you that you needed to watch Battlestar when it first came out. I'm glad that you've finally had a chance to watch it.