Wednesday, March 07, 2007

All Mixed Up

Those who have known me for a long time will remember my love of the band 311. From 1995-1999 they were by far my favorite band. I saw them in concert at least 3 times that I can remember, and had all of their albums, DVDs, etc. I also knew almost every word to every song on their first 3 discs.

Since 1999 311 has still been making music, only unfortunately, they've forgotten how to write a damned chorus. Their songs have no hooks anymore. They've become too New Wave "amber is the color of your energy" whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

So, it was with some shock last night that I watched the first contestant, beat-boxing Blake Lewis, launch into a really weakly-voiced reggae-ified version of 311's "All Mixed Up." He sang both the Nick Hexum part and the SA Martinez part. His voice was weak on the low part of his register (of course Randy said he was "pitchy"). To my even greater shock, none of the judges had ever heard the song before and called it "modern" and "fresh" in spite of the song having been a Top 40 hit in 1996. He received praise and will most likely be back next week.

I just think it's cool that 311 was on a mainstream TV show, and that the judges had no idea what song he was singing, even if I didn't care for his rendition.

2 comments:

JC said...

The guys really stunk up the joint on Tuesday, but I thought the 311 song was one of the better performances. Plus it's a cool song. It's hard to sound good when you're live...and pitchy...and cute-sy.

dj-anakin said...

Is this an 'American Idol' post?


I used to listen to 311 all the time. I even lived in room 311 for a while when I was in the Air Force and living on base.


I think I have all their albums downloaded. I saw 311 two summers ago at KROQ's Inland Invasion 2005. Best show i've ever been to. [http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=282557]