Thursday, December 07, 2006

Job Interviews

I now have job interviews with:

1) The Citadel
2) The University of South Carolina at Beaufort
3) Central Arkansas U

I am excited about all three schools. The Citadel has a long tradition and Charleston is lovely. I would imagine that my moderate views would find a good home there. Beaufort is intriguing because it is a rapidly growing school that would provide opportunities for program building, which I believe I would find intellectually stimulating. Central Arkansas has a Masters program in Spanish and their study abroad program is in Costa Rica. All plusses. I would really like to have 8-10 interviews and would love to hear from Berry College (Rome, GA) and Mississippi State.

I have questions for all the schools. I am interested in them all. I decided that it wouldn't be ethical to apply to schools from which I really wouldn't consider accepting offers. So, any school that calls me for an interview has my full attention. I am not so proud as to only look at major research schools. I would rather go where I think I will be an asset to the Department, where my family will be happy, and where I will be happy intellectually, physically, and spiritually.

When it comes time to make my final decision, and I pray to have options, I will consider everything, make my choice, and then inquire of the Lord if my decision is in accordance with His will--realizing that sometimes more than one option can be a good thing.

3 comments:

Thewmes said...

Congrats Mac! My family is pulling for uo to get what you want.

Anonymous said...

Scottie Pippen U.! Conway, Arkansas. Man, that would be awesome. That would really bring things full circle, wouldn't it?

You're probably scratching your head right now, but don't you remember a little mishap when you sent your SAT scores to the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff by accident? Oh how we laughed. We also laughed about "my Green Wave of Tulane" back then too.

I hope you stay somewhere here in the South, for selfish reasons of course. Good luck with the interviews.

But, if you do decide to move outside the South, make sure they have ski areas nearby, cuz Caroline and I would love to visit every year just to hit some slopes.

Karie said...

Mac,
I'm so very happy for you. I know how hard it can be to find just the right fit for job and family - well, ok I know how hard it can be to find just the right fit for job and self. (I can only imagine that it is much more difficult when family is involved.) Good luck with it.