Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Anger Management

I need a root canal on a molar. The tooth needed a crown, so I had one started over Thanksgiving up in Georgia. That procedure awoke the tooth, and for awhile, it really really hurt me. It had calmed down for ten days....no pain at all, even when I ate on that side. My dental insurance only covers half of a root canal procedure, so I contacted the LSU Dental School because they only charge $350 instead of $1000. After cancelling my appointments twice, I finally got an appointment for yesterday.....in Baton Rouge. I drove all the way up there from New Orleans. I got there 20 mins early in spite of the fact that they gave me bad directions THREE TIMES!!!. I fill out the obligatory forms and give them to the lady......and then I'm told that they've double-scheduled my appointment and I'll have to reschedule in January. They were rude and dissmissive in that Louisiana I-got-my-GED-and-then-this-job-so-I'm-in-charge-of-you-and-you-can't-do-nothing-about-it way (fyi, wearing scrubs does not increase your IQ or professionalism). I asked, in raised tones, why I had to reschedule and not the other person....they told me that he had already been taken back to the dentist....he was there first. I asked them, repeatedly, why then had they called and confirmed my appointment on Friday, if it was double-booked. They kept blaming someone named Gwen. I asked why they had not called my cellphone number when they realized that I was doublebooked...again, no response other than to claim that they had "just found out." Rage welled up inside of me.....I actually started seeing red....I knew I had to get out of that room before I snapped.....I turned to Mickelle and said "Let's go now." They asked me, "Do you want to reschedule?" It was all I could do not to launch a tsunami of vitriol against them...I responded "forget about it." I couldn't drive for 15 minutes. I had to calm down.

Living in Louisiana will do that to you sometimes.....it just sort of wears you down. Customer service is non-existent.


My tooth started hurting again on the drive home.

4 comments:

JC said...

Hm...maybe they figured you'd be cancelling again. :) How's the tooth? Got good meds?

Darla said...

I think this is something you'd enjoy:

http://jdsalmon.livejournal.com/457831.html

Frank said...

That has always been one of my only complaints about living in Louisiana. People there have no communication skills. It's like an entire state of rude people.

Course, I say this having never been to New York City.

I don't envy your root canal. I just had two wisdom teeth pulled, one of which was horrizontal and deep inside the gum. Thank you vicodin! Plus, i'm sure a root canal hurts more.

brett said...

This is a very interesting post, and the comments are also fantastic to read. I’ll have to have a little re-think about my own contact form on our new website, as this poses some interesting questions!

study abroad