Monday, March 13, 2006

Magazine Subscriptions on eBay

So, my brother-in-law Dallas (who evidently sucks at returning phone calls) told me a few months back about getting magazine subscriptions on eBay. Turns out that most magazine publishers make their millions off of advertising, and the greater the circulation of their publication, the more they can charge advertisers. Therefore they hire magazine "clearinghouses" or whatever you want to call them, to sell their magazines for them at a cut rate. Some magazines are so desperate to boost circulation that they might even give them to the clearinghouses for free to sell. These clearinghouses have begun selling on eBay and you can get great deals on some magazines for next to nothing.

For Christmas, Mickelle and I wanted to repay kindnesses shown us during Katrina and throughout our life, so we bought gift subscriptions for several people for Christmas. If you know us and have started getting a magazine that you didn't order, Merry Christmas! We didn't want to tell people because we thought it would be more fun to surprise them, and also because we (I) pranked a couple of people. One clearinghouse that I bought from actually gave away two free subscriptions when I bought one. The list of magazines was very limited and let's say esoteric. For about 4 people I selected subscriptions to magazines that they would NEVER have purchased for themselves.

The only person whose mentioned it to me thus far is Tim Boisvert, a Great American, who wondered why he has been receiving the monthly Black Enterprise magazine. I could barely breathe from laughing so hard when I told him it was me.

If you get an odd magazine, fui yo.

9 comments:

Tim said...

It really is quite a compelling publication. As a result I've decided to move to Oakland and open a barbershop.

darlamay said...

ROFL! Oh that's too funny. I'm gonna have to think about that for this year's Christmas gifts.

Oh, and Daryn and I will absolutely take you up on the NOLA invitation when we make it down there-- which we're hoping will be in the next 2 years whle we're here in the mid west.

JC said...

Hm...I wonder if that's why I'm getting...

paul said...

Since it is March and I don't seem to have any issues of GQ or Cosmo coming to my address, I'm guessing I missed out on the frivolities. However, Mac knows me too well. He knows that I HATE receiving gifts. Not because I think he (et. al.) is a crappy gift-giver, quite the contrary.

I would like to say that a magazine for me would be a downright dreadful gift. My grandfather decided to send us a year's subscription to *gasp* Reader's Digest. Why? Apparently some clearinghouse talked him into it.

For some reason, I loathe any magazine about sports, which is almost paranormal. SI, ESPN the Mag, Baseball Digest, etc. I pretty much think the articles are either snoozers or some lame attempt to vilify/crucify the latest posterboy.

TV has really soiled me I guess, and TiVo has left me permanently stained of sins I cannot be redeemed of. The only things I care to read these days are The Bible, Dan Brown novels (holy contradiction, Batman), road signs, eye charts, Mac's blog, Nealz Nuze, and on occasion my own pulse... just to make sure that I'm still alive.

So Mac, I would like to thank you for keeping me off your little scientific experiment. Now where that toll free number for Reader's Digest???????

Mac said...

everyone who has met me in person, who has posted to this thread should receive something at some point in the future, including you Paul, MWAHHHAHAHAHAHa

paul said...

I fart in your general direction. Man, you know that I only subscribe to the AJC for the COUPONS!

Oh, and one last thing... What comes around, goes around. He who laughs last, laughs best. You just dug your own grave now, mistah.

Mac said...

Bring it on man, but you assume that your gift will be a prank and not one that you would like. What if it was a thoughtful gift for the kindnesses shown by yall to us?

Either way, bring it on. You ain't got jack on Mac

Tyler said...

I enjoy Bitch Magazine: The magazine for the Lesbian dog owner and their dogs. Thanks.

paul said...

Consider it brought. You'll rue the day ya crossed me, McLarty.